10 most beautiful mosques in Istanbul | Turkey | Cayan Group
10 most beautiful mosques in Istanbul
Istanbul embraces a large number of tourist places and archaeological sites, including those wonderful mosques that combine Islamic culture and the originality of architecture.
The multiplicity of historical mosques in Istanbul makes it not possible to visit them all, so we have chosen the 10 most beautiful mosques worth visiting based on their unique architectural character and historical status:
- One of the most famous mosques in Istanbul, it was built in 1470 AD on the ruins of a Byzantine church by order of Sultan Muhammad Murad II (Muhammad Al-Fateh), ten years after he liberates the city of Constantinople.
- The mosque was affected and destroyed more than once by earthquakes and each time it was rebuilt again, and its current appearance dates back to 1771 AD when Sultan Mustafa III ordered it to rebuild with a different layout and design from the original after the damage caused to it the last time.
- Al-Fatih Mosque is characterized by a wonderful and dazzling design implemented by architect Sinan Agha in the Ottoman style, as it contains several domes hugging its huge central dome, in addition to two minarets and small domes extending on its edges.
- The interior design of the mosque amazes you and invites you to meditate and touches your heart with its details that reflect the beauty of Ottoman art, all this and more you will notice through the inscriptions and decorative windows that decorate the worship corner, in addition to the huge marble columns.
Sultan Mosque Ahmed:
- This mosque is one of the most beautiful tourist and historical landmarks of Istanbul that you can’t ignore passing through during your visit to the city.
- The mosque was built in 1616 by the order of Sultan Ahmed, and one of the reasons for building the mosque was to mitigate the impact of the defeat of his armies in front of the Persian armies.
- Sultan Ahmed Mosque is characterized by the beauty of its architectural design, which is represented by 6 minarets and several domes with a huge central dome in the middle and together form a pyramidal shape, in addition to its large courtyard, which is surrounded by high walls topped by several small domes.
- Like other historical mosques that were built in the Ottoman style, the worship corner of the mosque contains many inscriptions and decorations that decorate its walls, in addition to many colorful and ornate windows.
- The mosque houses the tomb of Sultan Ahmed and is famous for its large area, wonderful design, and dazzling inscriptions.
Hagia Sophia Mosque
- Initially, the Hagia Sophia Mosque was built as a church and was modified during the era of the Ottoman Sultanate minarets were added to it to turn it into a mosque, but it did not last until it turned into a secular museum later, until Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan reactivated it as a mosque in which the call to prayer is raised and prayers are held.
- The magnificent design of the Hagia Sophia Mosque tells the history of several ancient cultures, important events, and victories, and is characterized by a unique architecture formed as a result of a mixture of great civilizations.
- The beauty of the magnificent architecture of the mosque is highlighted through the wonderful design that combines two different cultures, and the most important feature of this design is a huge dome above the worship hall and attached halls whose walls and external surfaces form a mosaic entity, in addition to the four minarets and domed buildings attached to the mosque.
Eyüp Sultan Mosque
- Eyüp Sultan Mosque was built in 1458 AD and is located in the European section of Istanbul in the Sultan Eyüp area near the Golden Horn Bay, and includes the tomb of Sultan Eyüp.
- Looking at the history of Eyüp Sultan Mosque, we can say that it is the first mosque that was built after the conquest of Istanbul.
- Like other ancient buildings and mosques, the mosque was in ruins as a result of earthquakes until Sultan Selim III ordered its reconstruction in 1798, after which Sultan Mahmud II rebuilt the eastern minaret in 1822.
- Süleymaniye Mosque is located at the top of the Bosphorus Plateau and is one of Istanbul’s tourist attractions and attracts a large number of visitors due to its historical status and privileged location.
- Suleymaniye Mosque was established in 1550 AD in the Eminonu district of Istanbul near the Bosphorus.
- The mosque is characterized by its dazzling design that carries many wonderful details and mixes many cultures and civilizations, due to its construction by many engineers of different origins and countries.
- Oratakoy Mosque is one of the most beautiful tourist attractions and places of worship in Istanbul and is characterized by its direct location on the Bosphorus and adjacent to the 15th of July Bridge.
- The mosque was built in 1853 in the Ortakoy area by order of Sultan Abdul Mecid by the architect Kerhabt Amir Belyan.
- The foundations of the mosque reach a depth of 20 meters in order to protect it from earthquakes due to its location on the waters of the Bosphorus, and it was built in the style of Baroque architecture and this is what distinguishes it from other historical mosques in Istanbul.
- One of the most beautiful features of the Ortakoy Mosque is the decorated dome surrounded by decorations, two towering minarets with a wonderful design and a charming golden touch, in addition to the high worship corner and a special corner of the Sultan’s Forum.
Yavuz Salim Mosque
- Yavuz Selim Mosque was established at the beginning of 1520 AD by order of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent and was named by this name in memory of his father Selim I.
- The mosque is one of the oldest tourist attractions in Istanbul and the second oldest mosque in Turkey and is located near the Taksim area on the fifth plateau located near Golden Horn Bay.
- Yavuz Selim Mosque is characterized by a spacious hall with ornate and colorful windows in the middle which is a high dome decorated with beautiful inscriptions and decorations.
- The Laleli Mosque was established at the beginning of 1753 AD during the era of the Ottoman Empire by order of Sultan Mustafa III and Selim III, and it is located in the Fatih district of Lalaly or ‘Laleli’ near Eminonu.
- Architects Amin and Tahir Agha supervised the construction and design of the mosque magnificently.
- The mosque is characterized by its large area, its high dome, and a number of mausoleums belonging to the sultans of the Ottoman Empire, as well as its hall, which contains striking details and beautiful windows.
- The new mosque is located in the Eminonu area near the Gulf of the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus and is one of the most important tourist attractions in Istanbul, which was built at the beginning of the seventeenth century.
- During the era of the Ottoman Caliphate, and by order of the wife of Sultan Murad III and the mother of Sultan Mehmed III, the new mosque was built in one of the most beautiful tourist areas of Istanbul.
- The mosque is characterized by its huge area and dazzling design, which contains many domes lined up on the edges of its large square, and others above the main building of the mosque, and the mosque is characterized from the inside by wonderful inscriptions adorning its walls and colorful and ornate windows spread in all its corners.
- Sultana Mehrimah Mosque is located in the Asian section of Istanbul, specifically in the Uskudar area opposite the Bosphorus, and its construction was supervised by architect Sinan Pasha.
- This mosque is considered one of the most important and famous tourist and historical attractions in Istanbul.
- Sultana Mosque is characterized by its unique and wonderful architectural design, which is represented by several small domes scattered on the edges of its courtyard, and in the middle of the worship hall is a high dome based on four walls containing a large number of windows.
Our Real Estate Services:
- Are you interested in owning a property in Turkey and obtaining Turkish citizenship?
- Our company’s expert team in the real estate market will provide all the useful tips and unparalleled quotations you need.
- You can benefit from our legal services which provide you with the opportunity to invest safely.
- Apply now for the real estate consultant to communicate with you, provide answers to all your inquiries and provide the best available offers.
- Our services are free of charge and extend from before purchase until after you own the property.
- You can contact us to inquire about the most important decisions issued regarding real estate ownership in Turkey and obtaining real estate residency and Turkish citizenship.
- Feel free to ask questions related to residence in Turkey and real estate investment.
- Take the opportunity to get a successful investment opportunity within the Turkish real estate market.
- Browse the Projects page and review many apartments, villas, and commercial properties.